Camp. If anyone knows me just a little, they know how important that word is to me. It's a rarity that the words Strong Rock or camp doesn't fall from my mouth during a conversation. I try to avoid thinking about the impact it has had on my life, but to be quite honest it's about near impossible.
Up to this point I have always found it to be a place of comfort and a place to discover peace. Since 2006 the changes that have occurred in my life have often been triggered during and from experiences at camp. Some of those experiences were unforgettable in best ways possible, but also there were some very troubling times also. That goes to say at the very least I have come out a stronger person in the end. Delving into the huge portion of my life that was/has been devoted to camp, I figured why not give those of you that are interested in what it has done for me some insight.
 |
Awahili Tribe 2006
Pictured left to right:
J, T-Bone, Radar, Stretch, Smash, Buzz |
In the summer of 2006 I applied to work as a counselor at Strong Rock. All I can recall was that I needed a job, I knew James okay (at one point my Sunday School teacher), and that working at a camp seemed like a really cool idea. I have no doubt James was hesitant to hire me as I was ill-experienced, extremely quiet, and not the most lively individual. My facts might be off, but I believe I was the last hired male counselor of that summer. Working in the cabin of Timberline with youngest boys was an adventure, often times I'm really unsure if I ever had a clue as to what was going on. Luckily I had an excellent co-counselor that help me get out of my comfort zone in so many ways. The summer came and went and I never connected with everything that the camp truly was trying to "sell". I just wasn't sold on it the first time through. My performance may have been okay, but honestly it is hard to recall many specific moments from that year. Two people really impacted me very much that summer, Lee (Flash) and Grace (Radar), in which it took more than just that summer for me to realize what they did for me. Today, I am truly grateful for the time the and effort in which they poured into my life intentionally and often times unintentionally.
 |
| Staff of 2008 |
The summer of 2008. Never once did I think I would be back at Strong Rock for another time around. In January earlier that year I was asked if I could work a retreat. Why not? So I did and I met a few people from the 2007 summer. One in particular that I met and connected with over the weekend fairly quickly was Melissa (Pretzel). At the end of the retreat she and I went out and got coffee in Gainesville and just talked. She talked a lot about her experience at camp in 2007 and it really swelled in my heart into thinking what did I miss in 2006? So I felt that day that I needed to be back at camp. So I began praying about it and seeking out if this was from God or just from my own "in the moment" feeling of excitement. The signs were so clear that He wanted me back serving there. My attitude had greatly changed looking into going back. I truly wanted to love and serve kids. Extremely nervous about my interview I feel that James saw a change in me. I feel like he had little doubt in my passion and my desire to be at Strong Rock that summer. For the most part I felt like that was truly a stellar summer for me. Not only did I feel like I performed pretty well, I also felt like I made a bond with the males counselor staff that year headed up by Andrew (Stretch). Sure, there were several problems that occurred from time to time that summer, but overall it was a solid summer and it will always go down as my favorite as a counselor at Strong Rock. Stretch, Cricket, Houston, Red, Flash, and Duck - You guys blessed me more than words can express.
 |
On the archery range with HugsOne of my favorite photos with one of the few people
that has really changed my life that I met at camp. |
Oh 2009. Where to start. This was an interesting summer for many reasons. I will stick to the positive for the most part but it definitely had it's rough moments. They were so difficult in fact that after the summer was over I was looking to go to a different camp the following summer. Obviously that did not end up being the final summer for me but it definitely had its difficult situations. On the flip side of the coin there were several good things about how that summer went down. I felt like it was my best overall performance as a counselor and my outward attitude did reflect my heart for serving kids to the best that I was capable. It was almost like being on cruise control, but in a really good way. I think three years is the magic number you need as a camp counselor. To truly pick out all the points that matter most and to run with them. It becomes somewhat formulaic but it is extremely effective. I could definitely see at this point that my understanding of being a leader at that level and a supporter was necessary for a smooth summer. Just a perfect mesh of rookies and veterans to make the big picture come together. This summer Cricket became my best friend. I truly miss him most as I think about it right now.
 |
Evaluating a mock class during staff week.
Notice the radio and keys...they never leave my side. |
A turn of events in 2010. Stress. A word we often equate with many things in life. It was never a word I needed to use at camp...until now. This was truly such a bittersweet summer because I truly was excited about the creativity of being involved with what you could make camp become. At the same time I was sacrificing my level of direct interaction with kids that counselors have so many moments throughout the day. Yep, I became a program director. Several factors contributed to why I felt stressed virtually the whole summer and quite burned out. Feeling like so much work was on my shoulders, having to be corrective at times, and never feeling like any work that I put into camp was being rewarded in any way at all. I later was told that it is "lonely at the top", which sounds sad but made me feel better about most everything. I will say there were many positives I can pull out of that summer and in which I am proud of. I feel like I helped bring some good organization to the program side of things. Some of the newer ideas that were taken on seemed to have some positive outcomes which is definitely a plus for the freshness of camp. Despite the frustrations for some reason there were still a few people that were by my side through it all and it just makes me grateful to know such gracious people. I want to shout out to Michelle (Racket), Priscilla (Hugs), and Caleb (Buck) and thank them for keeping me sane during that summer. I think in many ways I tried to overachieve which made the work that much harder. I did walk away that summer feeling like a failure. I knew that it was the last summer at Strong Rock.
 |
| The 5 year award I was given at the end of the 2011 summer. |
Here it comes - 2011. I truly thought the summer of 2010 was my last but obviously God had other plans. Sending me out in Colorado away from everything familiar to me and everything that I held close to my heart. Come early January for whatever reason either out of boredom or God planting thoughts, I started creating some game ideas. Out of nowhere the whole brainstorming process began to take over and in turn I began seeking some direction as to whether God wanted me back at camp. It turns out that He did. Just rethinking about how that all happened I sorta chuckle. Despite everything I thought, He still led me where he wanted regardless of my initial aversion towards it. Walking into this summer with a fresh outlook and renewed spirit I was ready to impact lives and watch kids experience the awesomeness that which is camp. Equipped with the three people that I personally would have chosen to work with for that summer. As James said, "my dream team", they were in fact that and much more. Hopefully everyone else saw what I had the pleasure of seeing every day. A few new games here and there with a few twists on old ones made for a fairly fun summer. It was far less stressful than the prior summer and their were times I actually was able to have some "fun" from time to time. I can't help but praise those that keep my sanity because I often feel I will lose it if I don't have those one or two around. Zack (Mater) and Katlyn (Spark) truly made camp wonderful this summer. With their super uplifting spirits, hardworking attitude, and just always smiling with a genuineness that can't be missed; they were my heroes. Sure, not everything this summer was perfect but it sure felt great walking away with my head up and my mind fairly content.


My last shout out goes to Daniel (Bacon) and James (Rambo). I have an insurmountable level of respect for these two men of God. They have been two of the best bosses a person could ever ask to work under. They have been not only a mentor to me from afar but also directly as a friend. Daniel has one of the best work ethics I have ever seen and just never seems to quit until the job is done. He also has an incredible ability to stay level-headed in some of the most high-strung situations always keeping his cool and staying in control of a situation. James has a wonderful heart that exudes love for those he has the opportunity to interact with. He has good wisdom and really lends an ear if you ever need to get something off your chest; it is truly a rarity to find such a compassionate heart. Thank you guys for everything you were and are to me; you have changed my life and my path forever.
 |
| Tribal bracelets I wore for about two years. |
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss
They say moving on is a part of life. Often times it can be really difficult to face of but sometimes the solemn reality sets in and you just have to accept it. I think for a time I thought I had a future in the camp world and maybe there is still a chance for that to occur somewhere down the road. I believe in camp because I truly see the impact it makes on the lives that it touches. Not only does it affect the campers and staffers but it impacts the families of those individuals as well as the friends. There is nothing like camp, it is so far from normalcy words cannot express the experience one goes through when they take it on first-hand. Ever since my second summer of camp I have always said that everyone needs to work at a summer camp at some point in their life. It teaches you so much about yourself and what you are capable of undertaking. Where God will have my feet landing next I have no idea, but my heart is steady knowing He will have a place for me. I can rest knowing this place is left in good hands and that maybe my time spent at camp touched at least one life to point them in the right direction for drawing closer to the father. It was all worth it if that becomes the result.
 |
| A picture Michelle painted for me that resides in my room. |
All this may have seemed vague and even as I reflect on what I have written down simply doesn't do what I have experienced any justice. To say the very least it has by far been the singular most influential thing I have experienced in my life.
 |
| Every seat in my movie room has a Strong Rock blanket on it. |
So for now I have a blanket (or 4) to wrap myself into every time that special place comes to mind.
Reminisce
 |
| "Chill out" crew summer of 2011 |
 |
| Willy Wonka summer of 2009 |
 |
| Power Grid 80's Edition summer of 2010 |
 |
| At Outpost summer of 2008 |
 |
| CJ and I on opening night at camp summer of 2009 |
 |
| Newspaper Party summer of 2006 |
 |
| Council Ring night summer of 2009 |
 |
| Christmas Party, almost all the '08 guys here |
 |
| Superhero Extravaganza - Ice Breaker vs. Fire Wizard |
 |
| Awahili Tribe summer of 2009 |
3 comments:
Good read. You have definitely added a TON to camp and your contributions will not soon be forgotten. Your heart and dedication to Strong Rock is a huge blessing and you have been a great support to camp as we continually seek excellence in all that we do. Thanks for embracing the true spirit of camp, especially ours, and allowing God to use you here.
Even though I only worked one summer of camp I feel like I've experianced all five with you. It has been so much fun to watch you grow through each summer of camp. Every summer has brought about changes in your life and in the ways you interact with people. I know God has used each summer experiance to prepare you for the next summer of service and that everything you have been through and learned at camp has prepared you for whatever is next in your life. I know God has something else great planned for you!! I enjoyed reading this post and thinking back through all that you have been through as a part of Strong Rock. I personally am grateful for the opprotunity to experiance camp first hand for a summer and will forever have a better understanding of how deeply it has affected you because of the affect it had on me in a much shorter time.
I almost got misty. It was close there in the middle. Well written. I enjoyed reading it and seeing again your heart for this place. It actually boggles my mind to imagine doing camp without - because you have definitely returned the "sanity" favor more than once. You have personally helped define so much of what I love about camp and I am forever and ever grateful for you, your friendship, your heart and your self.
Post a Comment