It is something that has been around forever. To some it is an escape, others it is just for a buzz, many claim it to be the social norm, and to others it might as well be left alone. I fall into the latter of those four categories. So here I am going to discuss why I abstain from alcohol.
NOTE: Before I move further with this post, I want to start by explaining that any reference to "people" means my generation. Basically people that fall within the early to late 20's age range. I can't speak for the older generation, as for the younger generation I fear the worst.
Also, I have no problem with people that choose to drink. That is their own personal choice. I do not think less of them nor do I think I am better than them. Hence moving forward to why I don't partake in alcohol -
Below, I repeat myself a whole lot.
Breaking down the reasons for not drinking alcohol is much more complicated than necessary here, I would blame society...in fact, as much as I hate the blame game - I will. Which brings me to point number one, for some reason people can't accept the answer "I don't drink alcohol". If I am anywhere in which most people are drinking alcoholic beverages the questions always come up and the most general one is, "Why don't you drink?" For some reason people want some ridiculous lengthy dissertation as to why. This boggles my mind and leads me to believe that alcohol is simply more than just a wet beverage. If placed in the same scenario about soda and I say that I don't drink soda the other party is fairly accepting of that response. Some people I know would love for me to drink with them. Why? Is alcohol some magical fountain of youth and I am missing out? You may read this now and wonder why I make such a big deal out of this....because they do! I have never tasted alcohol and probably never will as long as I live, yet people can't accept that. I don't feel hard pressed to resist the offering of it time and time again, but why is it so important for people to keep asking knowing the answer? Maybe I'll just carry a can of sardines around and ask people to eat one anytime I see them...no offense if you like sardines...too salty for me...
Location, Location, Location.
Being where we are here in America, our country has gone back and forth on alcohol from time to time. At one point in our history it was banned. In a more particular setting here in the southeast, where we are known as the "Bible Belt", I believe this too also is creating something in the minds of people about alcohol. No doubt alcohol has been a frowned upon subject in the pulpit of church institutions today. It's one of those somewhat "hush hush" things Christians avoid discussing within those four walls. This faux pas leads me to believe that alcohol is a rebellious notion for that very reason in our southern culture. Not only that but because you aren't supposed to drink until the age of 21, based on the laws of our governed land, it makes it all the more appealing. Am I saying by human nature we have a rebellious spirit? Of course, I think any Christian believes we all struggle with that "rebellious demon". Which is why it's not rare to get the question, "Do you not drink because you are a Christian?". I usually simply say no to that question just for keeping things simple. Why? Because I don't think drinking is sinful or wrong. The bible says not to be drunk and also Jesus drank wine. Sure, I've heard arguments stating that it wasn't fermented wine...blah blah blah...either way, the bible never says do not drink alcohol. It is naturally occurring without technology or anything....maybe we shouldn't eat pop-tarts, because honestly what is a pop-tart? On the note about being a Christ follower I do believe that because of today's culture, alcohol is often looked at with a controversial eye. If I was sitting at a bar sipping on a beer, the first thought that pops into your mind isn't "hey, that's a Christian". To some it could be that's just anther guy getting his buzz on...more or less. Swinging over on a random tangent for a moment. I just watched the documentary Jesus Camp and it bothers me to see that and know that a high percentage of people think that is what a model Christian looks like. The Christians in that documentary really sell home the idea that they don't care how the world sees them, that it only matters how God sees them. I'm sorry but that is the WORST ideology ever. The truth of the matter is we should be very concerned with how we represent Christ as well as how we treat those that do not personally know Him. I don't drink alcohol because I think it's biblically incorrect, I don't drink it because I don't want it to distort the image of Christ that I feel should be represented towards others. Although if you look through Proverbs, there are many verses that discuss alcohol and how bad it is across the board. So maybe abstinence i
It's Fun, Fun, Fun...until your daddy takes the T-Bird away (Beach Boys moment...sorry)
This shouldn't take much explaining or answering, but I have heard the argument that getting a little buzz from alcohol helps you have a better time. I realize I am not the most happening kind of person, but I am okay with that. Yet to tell me to have a better time I need a buzz...I apologize, but I find that just sad. If you need an added chemical in your body to help you have a good time you honestly don't have much in life worth a hoot. So for arguments sake, that one just doesn't convince me.
Alcoholism
It runs in the family. I had an uncle that died a few years back from it, and there were some back a ways that have struggled with it. I don't know all the research nor do I feel like googling it right now, nut I have heard that it can be fairly hereditary. Why should I take the risk on getting hooked on something that doesn't serve any kind of benefit to me in life anyway. I'm pretty content with my Nestle water, sweet tea, and gatorade. Life already has enough choices why throw in alcohol....I mean have you seen the menus at restaurants? It's ridiculous the amount of different kinds of drinks their are.
This ain't no sugar high. (I think that's my first time using ain't in anything I have written)
I really dig candy...especially gummy/chewy stuff. It contains lots of sugar. Sugar can really change your energy level your blood sugar and health. Alcohol changes your mind...people do really funny and stupid things when under the influence of alcohol, to say that isn't true would just be intentional ignorance. Alcohol is different than other things that I have compared it to, I most definitely realize that. It truly can be a dangerous substance, not too far from what drugs can do to someone. It can alter your mind and that scares me a little. Knowing for time of consciousness that I would not be in control of my body seems fairly sketch to me.
So that's my story, I am sticking to it. So quit asking because my response will not change.
1 comments:
Wow - sorry for all those times I pestered you about not drinking with me.
DISCLAIMER: To those who are not sure. I am being completely sarcastic. I have thus far found myself in the same boat (and opinion) as the author.
Post a Comment